Pizzette capresi originates from Capri, an island located in the Tyrrhenian Sea off the Sorrentine Peninsula. The Capri Island lies on the south side of the Gulf of Naples in the Campania region of Italy.
- Knead all the ingredients for the dough for at least 3 minutes.
- Let the dough rise for at least one hour and a half in the oven off but with the light on (this helps rising).
- When the dough's volume is doubled roll the dough to a centimetre/inch thick and helping yourselves with a glass obtain some discs.
- On every disc put some tomatoes cut in pieces, some small pieces of mozzarella, a bit of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and very little olive oil.
- Bake at 180° for 15-20 minutes.
- Decorate with basil leaves.
This is the typical version. They could also be fried in very hot oil, and dressed with the same ingredients afterwards. These would be a bit more caloric, but people seem to like them more and more!